Virtual Choice Program Elementary Expectations
Students that are accepted to the Virtual Choice Program can expect to receive direct instruction provided virtually by YSD1 certified teachers dedicated to online teaching and learning. Students will participate and engage in virtual meetings, collaborative discussions, and tasks that include digital and interactive resources. Instruction will be delivered using the district’s Canvas Learning Management System with links to district supported digital learning tools. Teachers will provide direct instruction that includes face-to-face synchronous live sessions through Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft Teams based on a daily schedule. Attendance will be taken daily. Students must meet state attendance guidelines and attend daily virtual live sessions. Students that fail to attend daily virtual classes or submit work on time may be considered truant and will receive attendance intervention plans just as students attending face-to-face classes. Student progress and attendance will be monitored routinely. Students in danger of not meeting attendance requirements and/or not making adequate progress in the grade/course may be exited from the Virtual Choice Program.
Assignments will be expected to be submitted daily and weekly. Office hours, virtual small group, and one-on-one instruction will be available and assigned as needed with the student.
What to Expect – Elementary Grades K – 4
- Students will be assigned to a YSD1 certified teacher in the appropriate grade-level with a maximum of 25 students enrolled in the class. These teachers may, or may not, have affiliation with the student’s home school.
- Students in Grades K – 2 will need a digital device. Course work cannot be completed using a cell phone. Students in Grades 3 – 4 will be provided with a device. All students must have reliable access to the internet.
- Students must meet state attendance guidelines and attend daily virtual live sessions. Attendance will be taken daily. Students that fail to attend daily virtual classes or submit work on time may be considered truant and will receive attendance intervention plans just as students attending face-to-face classes.
- All students will be required to attend a school site to complete State and district required assessments based on legislative Act 142. This may include pre and post assessments for Reading and Math, as well as other assessments outlined by the SC Department of Education and the York School District.
- Instruction will follow the YSD1 District Curriculum Maps for pacing and sequencing of teaching and learning of the State Standards for each respective content area.
- Instruction, learning experiences, and materials will be delivered using the district’s Canvas Learning Management System with links to other district supported digital learning platforms and tools.
- Teachers will provide direct instruction that includes face-to-face synchronous live sessions through Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft Teams on a daily schedule.
- Additional scheduled instructional whole group, small group, or one-on-one sessions will be available and assigned as needed.
- Students and parents/families will be required to attend on-site orientations and student progress meetings throughout the school year. Teachers will be available for additional student and/or parent conferencing.
- Assignments and tasks are not self-paced, rather deadline driven with distinct due dates each week.
- Special services such as MERIT, ESOL, and student specific accommodations will be provided.
Elementary Daily/Weekly Instruction Schedule (SAMPLE)
8:00 AM – 8:45 AM
Morning Meeting/Check In
9:00 AM – 10:00 AM
9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Whole Group, Live Session
9:30 AM – 10:00 AM Small Group, Live Lessons, Reading Groups
10:15 AM – 11:15 AM
10:15 AM – 10:45 AM Whole Group, Live Session
10:45 AM – 11:15 AM Small Group, Live Lessons, Reading Groups
11:15 AM – 12:15 PM
12:15 PM – 1:00 PM
1:15 PM – 2:00 PM
Small Groups as Assigned