Residency & Tuition
All school admissions within York School District 1 must be in accordance with South Carolina law and York School District Board Policy. Each person of legally defined and mandated school age who resides in the district and who has presented required certificates of immunization, a certified birth certificate, valid ID and proof of residency may attend school in York School District 1.
Acceptable documents for proof of residency include the most recent:
- Most recent electric, gas or water utility bill showing name and address of the parent/legal guardian, dated within 60 days
- Most recent tax notice on real property showing name and address of parent/legal guardian
- Most recent copy of closing statement on home purchase with address and name of parent/legal guardian
- Most recent copy of signed, dated lease agreement from rental company, mobile home park, or similar agent showing name and address of parent/legal guardian
*NOTE: If the student resides in a household which is not leased or owned by the parent and/or guardian, documentation to establish residency in York School District 1 must be signed by the home owner and notarized. Further proof of residency is required to be submitted to the school within 30 days to avoid withdrawal from York School District 1.
Students who reside outside of the district attendance zone and wish to enroll in York School District 1 will be required to pay tuition, which is calculated and based on S.C. Law 59-63-45 and is subject to change yearly. Tuition cost for the 2018-19 school year for York County residents is $5,758, and for those residing outside of York County is $7,792. Tuition payments must be made prior to the start of the school year, and are non-refundable. Enrollment of students who pay tuition does not necessarily apply to athletic eligibility.
In order to enroll in York School District 1 while living outside of the district attendance zone, the parent must:
- Obtain and submit a release of enrollment from their resident school district.
- Complete and submit a transfer request form.
- Submit a check or money order payable to York School District 1.
If you have any questions or need further information, please contact the York School District 1 office at 803-684-9916.